Friday, May 2, 2014

I accomplished my goal! - 3/17/14



Ok,
So first things first. I ACCOMPLISHED MY GOAL!! Wahoo!
On Christmas Day, Elder Bednar challenged us to read the Book of Mormon and find all the scriptures that say specifically " One by One" There are 6 instances in the Book of Mormon where it says this. Yesterday I found the last one and then I have been studying it. HOLY COW! So amazing! I encourage all of you to do the same. You will be blessed more than you can ever imagine. DO NOT JUST DO A SEARCH FOR IT ON YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICE! As you read from the beginning to the end I promise you that Heavenly Father will pour blessings on your head that you can't even begin to receive all of it.
Ok. So on Tuesday I called an amazing Elder that President Adams told me to call about homesickness. It was one of the turning points of my mission. As we talked, it felt that because someone that I looked up to as a leader felt the exact same as me and knew exactly what I was feeling...I felt my burden become light. And I figured out how I need to look at my mission and truly every day. As I take the mission literally "one day at a time" I know that I won’t become depressed. I just need to focus on that day. Then I can enjoy the things that happen and the exciting lessons that await me. It was one of the greatest turning points for me on my mission. I am so grateful that the Lord has us go through hard things so that we can help others in need.
Also we got 9 new investigators this week. That was really exciting. It's really amazing how the Lord works to help us fill up our time and prepares us in the day to be able to answer their questions and needs.
Yesterday we ran into a guy that was drunk, and he was like "I was taking the lessons in soixcent sept (or 67) and I live here. I want to learn again." Usually we are like, "ugh another drunk." But then a strange feeling came over me. And I remembered a story of a dear friend of mine, when he was on his mission, about a similar experience. And the spirit telling him that maybe the reason why he drinks is because that's the only solace that he can find right now. Thus with that realization and remembrance, we set an appointment, and I know that the Lord has been preparing him. I am excited to teach him. His name is "Arivo" I think...I will check later on that...;
Anyway the work is going swag here in Madagascar. I also fell into a rice paddy...That was fun :) OH YA! So about 14 people died in a taxibe accident recently. A couple of our investigators were affected, but I know that at the same time it has been an opportunity for the ward to reach out in love. And it is helping some of our investigators progress toward baptism. It's pretty cool.
Anyway I love you all. Thanks for everything.
Love Elder Lehr

Note from Mom: Elder Lehr shared another piece of news with me this morning as I happened to be on the computer at midnight waiting for Noelle to get home from California.  He said, “OH also on Saturday, a new investigator came to us and wants to be taught the lessons. He speaks NO MALAGASY and only speaks French and Creole. YEP!!! HE'S FROM LA REUNION! And he wants US TO teach him. My mission is following me haha. Only problem is that I CANT SPEAK FRENCH!!!” (not that French, anyway) I asked him what he was going to do about it, pull out the French that he did know?  His response: “Speak to him in Malagasy and have a member translate for me :)”
Remember that he initially was assigned to the La Reunion Region of this mission speaking French. But 2 months before he was supposed to leave, the Stake President called to tell him that there was a change in his assignment – Madagascar and Malagasy. At least he gets a touch of La Reunion and French anyway.  Little tender mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment