Monday, September 22, 2014

What I have learned in the past 9 months - 9/22/14



This email is in response to Mom asking Elder Lehr what he had learned over the past 9+ months. Thought it was worth sharing.
I am SO STOKED to have Jantzen come to Madagascar. I can't even describe how awesome that is. I want to just talk to him about how cool it is, and what not. I will actually have a BRO in Madagascar! I would give ANYTHING to train that kid, but i also know that whoever does train him, will be a lucky guy :)
So with transfers coming I have heard a lot of different things that could go on. Recently the APs called and asked us about our area and if we thought it could be split. We said yes. So depending on when they are splitting it, I could see myself pulling an Elder Morley and staying for another 3 months or so, or I could leave this transfer and go somewhere.....I have no idea. A lot of the regular missionaries think that I am staying but more of the zone leaders think that I am leaving so...We shall see :)
As for what I have learned the last 9 months? Well Mom, The Plan of Salvation and the gospel of Jesus Christ is truly healing balm for everything. For me, the gospel has LITERALLY become the WAY or the METHOD that we have to follow and do if we want to PREPARE to return to meet God. Otran hoe "like" We have to have faith, repent, make covenants, and endure to the end every single day. And if we do that then we can access the power of the atonement to change, and to prepare to live a celestial law. If we do not abide a celestial law then we can't go to the Celestial Kingdom. So, We have to repent EVERY DAY. We have to strive to keep our covenants EVERY DAY. And as we do those things, we will become new people. Born again, and will receive the blessings of eternity.
2nd. Prayer is a healing, wonderful gift given by our Heavenly Father. Probably my favorite time in the day is to kneel down on the floor next to my bed, and just talk. There is something....Special...Humbling...and meek in kneeling down to pray. It is a sign to me of trying to be submissive, and it helps me to talk to him, and to try to give myself to him. I have learned that prayer brings peace of heart and mind.
3rd. The Book of Mormon is true. Without a doubt in my mind, the Book of Mormon is true. The bible is the word of God also, and we should spend some serious time reflecting in the New Testament. Recently I have been looking in the "Harmony of the Gospels" and comparing the gospels, and trying to find out more about Jesus's ministry in the New Testament. And I can truly say that it is the word of God, and that it has been a special experience for me to understand more about the parables and teachings of Jesus Christ. I love it :)
4th. Malagasy is such a fun language :)
5th. Family is SO IMPORTANT!
6th. Self reliance is the key to opening the windows of heaven. It allows you to place your faith in the Lord, and to increase your trust in him.
7th. The temple must be the focus of our activities. We must always look to the example of the temple. As we strive to give "Holiness to the Lord" every day, then we shall be purified, and sanctified by degrees until we become completely new creatures.
8th. Cooking together with missionaries, and spending time with other missionaries builds friendships which will last beyond this life.
9th. I know that the prophet Joseph Smith was a prophet. I know he saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. Before my mission, I never received a burning in the bosom, or such things like that, and even here I have not received such a revelation, but do I still know that the Church of Jesus Christ was restored for these latter days, and that the name of that church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and that it contains all of the keys and powers needed to bring salvation to the children of men? Yes. I know it with all the certainty of my soul.
10. It's hard to live the law of consecration. There are so many blessings it brings, but it's hard because I still have parts of me that want to be selfish, but I know that through that law, we can practice living a heavenly life. Through this law, we give all that we have to God, and in return God gives everything he has to us. There is no rich or poor, there is no bond or free. It is not just giving all of our worldly possessions but our very hearts and souls. And that is why missionaries change so much, is because they spend 2 years trying to give all they have to God, and that’s what brings about a quickening of the intellect, and a strength of spirit. It is the power that comes from keeping their covenants with God.
Sorry that's a lot Mom. But I hope it answered your questions :)
I am excited to see what happens with transfers, and I love being here.
Elder Lehr

No comments:

Post a Comment