Monday, January 6, 2014

Day After Christmas in MTC - 12/26/13

Wow! I am so glad you enjoyed the poem, and that things are looking so well for Christian. Yesterday I really, really wish Christian could have been here. We had Elder Bednar come and speak to us, and that was one of the coolest devotionals ever! He gave about a 2 minute thought on how we are agents to act, not to be acted upon. Basically, like a tissue box has no ability to act, the only way it can move is by some other force acting upon it. Thus it is an object. We are not objects but have been given the ability to act. Then Elder Bednar gave out 200 cell phones for all the missionaries to text him questions. It was really scary as he said "Now don't you DARE CALL HOME!!! If you do I will HUNT YOU DOWN AND DO BAD THINGS TO YOU!" When he said this, our entire zone was like "I'll pass on the phone....I don't want to die..." It was awesome. He also said that every question was good. The best questions are those that are inspired which have the 3 following characteristics: 1. person 2. Time 3. place. For example a good question is "Where is the sword of Laban?" Answer: "I don't know and I don't care." Inspired question: As an apostle of the Lord, what does it mean to be an especial witness of the name of Jesus Christ, and being a witness of Jesus Christ? 
It was an amazing meeting that was full of the spirit. After Elder Bednar we had Brother Ray Smith? Oh gosh I can't remember his name right now, but the saxophone player that Brooks was taking private lessons from. He is in a branch presidency here, and so he played for about an hour to an hour and a half of jazz and peaceful christmas music. Christian would have LOVED IT! 
It also hit me today that The Lord really knows our needs. When my assignment got changed from French to Malagasy, I went from going to the Ghana MTC to going to the Provo MTC. As it so happens, I see that the Lord has been able to make me an instrument in his hand within the walls of my own zone. Truly we have all bonded so beautifully together. We love each other, Help each other, and I feel that we all compliment each other. I love each of them so much. Not in any prideful way, I feel that the Lord knew that I could use the gift that I have been given of loving people, and has used that for the people of my zone/branch. Its been so beautiful to watch each of us grow, and our Christlike attributes increase as well. The Lord has truly blessed me.
One other quick thing that Elder Bednar talked about was that each of us were CALLED to be FULL TIME MISSIONARIES. We were NOT CALLED to an assigned area.Thus we are not CALLED TO MADAGASCAR, or LATVIA, or Michigan, or UTAH, but are called to be servants of the Lord. We are called to bear the name of Jesus Christ, and to have power in that calling. Being called to be a full time missionary is infinitely more powerful than being called to an exotic or relatively close place.
Also, I don't think i talked about Jen's baptism yesterday since I did not have any time, but THAT IS SO COOL! Again as a missionary my eyes have been more opened to the blessings that are being bestowed upon my family as my brother and I are serving him. I am SO HAPPY for Jen and David and have been praying for them.
I hope Grandpa is doing well in this cold because I know that my companion has been struggling with it. This type of cold has not been good for his African skin, but we had the doctors prescribe him some medicine for that so everything is going well there. 
OH! I got myself a christmas present today and got a hair cut! Just to let you know beforehand about the hair cut.....Yes mom you were right... I am going to have to get used to looking like the other missionaries in Sierra Leone. I will upload some pictures for you while I do my laundry later today.
Well I think thats about it.
Oh, Please tell Grandma that I am very grateful for her letter. And I saw Annelise Haderlie today at breakfast. It was good to see her. She works as one of the girls serving the food at BYU. So...ya. She said that she saw you a couple days ago which was pretty swag.

-Love Elder Lehr

Special treat for Elder Lehr to see his good friend, Brian Plummer at the MTC

Elder Lehr and Elder Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment