Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The work is coming along - 8/18/14



I cant believe school is already starting for the girls. That is absolutely nuts. The seasons pass by so quickly. Haha It doesn't really help that it's turning into spring and summer right now :)
This week was pretty fun as I went on splits with Elder Garcia. And I was able to do some baptism interviews. There were a couple that as I interviewed them, I was astonished by how amazing they were. It was seeing people that I knew had been prepared years in advance to accept this message and they knew what they wanted in life. It was a way cool experience.

Also We were able to teach Richard this week, and it's kind of funny how simple he is in a fashion. Just a one tract mind. I love the guy, and I am determined to not give up on him. It may just be sheer stubbornness, or it might be something else, but I really do love him and don't want to let him go.
One of our investigators named "Hiandry" is a stud. He is 12 years old, and just receives things really well. I think he will be a great example for his family and will help them to progress. Tefy is another 9-10 year old kid that we have been teaching, and it's pretty amazing because his whole family except for him are already recent converts. And the father is the 2nd counselor in the Branch Presidency right now. He is progressing really well, and I think it helps that his father is right there with him to really try to help him understand to feel that this is right. We also have been teaching Claymond who is trying to go into tourism for his work. He is pretty cool, but just needs to go to church :)
So for my studies I have done a lot of reading in the Teachings of David O Mckay. His teachings are pretty profound. I was reading one particular thing that I would like to share. He states that as this is the time in which we prepare to meet God, we basically have 2 choices in life, and need to know which choice will provide more happiness. The choices are as follows,
1. We pamper to our physical wants and passions, and feed the natural man.
or
2. We develop our spiritual selves.
From him I have learned that "Man is a duel being" "Man has a Natural body and a spiritual body" and that "Man's body, therefore, is but the tabernacle in which his spirit dwells." Thus whenever we do even the smallest of selfless acts, and when we do things without any thought of ourselves, but of the desire to serve others...Then we feed our spiritual side, and are given greater control and reigns of the passions and wants of the natural man." Especially as I have been in Madagascar, this truth has been so apparent to me. So many people are very base in their passions and desires, but then on the other hand I have seen so many people who love, and do everything that they can for others. It's their life and existence to help the child, the brother, the sister, the father, the mother, and it has been a very changing thing for me to see.

I know that as we follow the gospel of Jesus Christ that we will GAIN, and not lose power to excersize our agency, and that we will feel more joy and happiness in our lives.
Love you all and I will talk to you all soon! :)
Elder Lehr

No comments:

Post a Comment